Friday, January 3, 2020

Arrival (Outer Journey)

We Have Officially Arrived 

We left the train station in New Orleans by uber to our hotel, and quickly unpacked everything and noticed that our rooms are bigger than I initially thought. I did however also notice that there are only two mirrors in the room and with four girls getting ready every morning that could prove to be problematic. As we got further into the city the "wonderful" smell of Marijuana fills the air roughly every twenty feet and it only gets worse as it becomes later at night. We went to dinner and the food options were a lot different from the food options in Illinois. I tried jambalaya for the first time and it turns out that I like it. It was a mixture of rice and meat covered in spices and in my opinion it tasted similar to something like a chicken fajitas in Illinois. Next, we had the pleasure of talking with Ina as she gave us a brief history of different haunted places in the city of New Orleans. With her imagery as she was describing how these people came to haunt the area it really took you back to the 1700-1800's when things in New Orleans were a lot different than they are now. Walking through the city, you could see the way the water was stuck in the streets because of the way that the city is built there is nowhere for the water to truly drain. The streets are home to many of the homeless, and on our way back to the hotel on this first night my roommate Marybeth and I encountered a homeless man who took a swing at us from slightly across the sidewalk, which in turn made me hang onto my pepper spray tighter. Today was a good life experience type of day with a slight safety concern, and I look forward to tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment