Saturday, January 4, 2020

First Full Day In New Orleans (Outer Journey)

Today I tried Turtle Soup!

We went through at least three hours of tours today and I loved every minute of it. This city has so much unique history of how it came to be, who made it that way, and how it greatly differs from Illinois. We went through the St. Louis Cemetery number one today and got to see the voodoo queen of New Orleans Ms. Marie Laveau's burial site. Next we went to Louis Armstrong's park and got to hear the history of the Native Americans and Africans who congregated in Congo Square and danced and sang. Then we went to the French Quarter to sight see the different architecture in the area. After that, we went on a cuisine tour which consisted of our entire class group going from one restaurant to another and trying the food that is indigenous to New Orleans. The food that I was most nervous to try was the turtle soup, but it turns out that I actually enjoy it. The biggest moment of the day in my opinion was seeing the different musicians in the French Quarter and hearing their instruments and the sound of the deep soulful voices involved. I was standing across the street from one group of roughly five individuals who were playing instruments and singing. The person that stood out to me and spoke to me today was the lead singer. She's an African American woman who was singing and playing the clarinet and it drew me in. She was leaning back and putting all of her air into her music notes. I could feel the hair standing up on the back of my neck and even though the foul smell of the city was present between the mixture of booze and marijuana, in that moment I didn't care a bit because she was an incredible musician. 






No comments:

Post a Comment