Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Art (Outer Journey)

Art Lines The Gates Of Jackson Square

On Royal Street, and throughout New Orleans there are many talented artists. Specifically there are many artists that hang up their paintings and photos in Jackson Square. Marybeth and I traveled down Royal Street to search for art that inspired us. I took this photo of my favorite piece of art that I found in New Orleans. It was created by a European artist who is deceased. The workers at the gallery couldn't tell us much more, other than the fact that these paintings were expensive to purchase. I like this painting because I have always wanted to visit Italy where the houses are literally right next to the water. I like how you can see the buildings muffled reflection in the water. The colors that were used are repetitive, and the trees are all kept together which creates a sense that the mountains in the background go on forever. The city looks abandoned. The canoes are not docked anywhere and it helps tell a story. I made up a story about how the ripple in the bottom lefthand corner is from a larger boat and the residents living in the city were fleeing their homeland because it was about to be invaded. They took all of the canoes and left them floating in the water away from shore so they couldn't be followed. I picked this painting out of all of the others (which is about twenty) in the gallery because this one drew my eyes in with the way it looked. Most of the other paintings consisted of floral/flowery arrangements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment